Thursday, July 5, 2012

Breeding Suspicion Part 1

Husband comes home late at night and quietly opens the door to his Bedroom. From under the blanket he sees four legs instead of two. He reaches for a Baseball Bat and starts hitting the blanket as hard as he can. Once he's done, he goes to the kitchen to have a drink. As he enters, he sees his wife there, reading a magazine. "Hi Darling", she says, "Your parents have come to visit us, so l let them stay in our bedroom. Hope you have said Hello...



Many things come to mind when I think of this issue. There are just too much to talk about. I wish I was still a young boy, then I would not have made some of the mistakes I made with this issue. 


Have you had cause to do any of these? You searched your man's shirt or trouser pockets with the hope of seeing something incriminating or you scroll through your spouse phonebook or sms directory for strange numbers or sms. If yes, then you are a victim of suspicion. 
Many relationships die at a shorter age because of suspicion. As a matter of fact, I have seen many relationships crumble,  have watched with awe, how much less of understanding many matured individuals underestimates the dynamics of suspicion. 


My father once asked me, he said son! how many times will something happen to you before you actually learn? I remembered saying, I prefer to learn from the mistakes of others...but did I? 
I certainly did not because I was also entrapped by the failures of my heart to understand the dynamics of suspicion. 
While suspicion has so may parts to it, I am basically concerned about the workings of suspicion to relationship and what I think breeds it (suspicion). 


Suspicion according to my dictionary is a feeling of doubt or mistrust. According to my fathers, there is no smoke without fire. Yes something stirs up suspicion. If you notice that your spouse does not talk with you openly anymore, or feels sad in your presence or behaves unusual towards you...Check very well, suspicion is very close by. Also check yourself thoroughly, you are most likely to be breeding suspicion. Suspicion in a relationship is a very strong issue and should not be grown. In itself it is not a bad thing to suspect, in my opinion. It is the breeding of suspicion that I find very alarming and uncondoning. Breeding suspicion borrowing from poetic license is that act that causes the other person to be suspicious. Anyone portraying such acts, to me, is a breeder of suspicion. 


It takes two to tangle so they said, if in a relationship, one does certain things that are unclear to the other person, it will evoke suspicion in the other person. 


Some of these habits or behaviors are potential attitudes that breed suspicion: 


LIES; 
In my quest to understand this latent killer of beateous relationships, I discorvered that, there are so many ways people lie in a relationship. Most people scarcely put forth blatant lies, they furnish their lies with various colours. Some of the ways people lie in a relationship are: lack of transparency, conflicting stories, insincere indulgences etc. 
Lack of transparency is one aspect that may not be very familiar and most people may not know that such acts is a relationship killer as it breeds suspicion strongly. Anything you dont want to talk about in a relationship may be as a result of lack of transparency. it is the value one place on the other that determines the level of transparency to that person. This brings me to something that is related. 
Watch out for part 2.

3 comments:

  1. FINALLY!!! I hear your voice in this blog and it's really good. From beginning to end I was truly engaged in what you had to say. I Especially love the case scenario you used in the beginning.

    I like what you had to say about transparency and from personal experience I agree that a lack of it has caused some of my relationships to crumble. My question to you though is this, do you think that transparency is something that should be the foundation at the beginning of a relationship or is something that is achieved only when a relationship becomes serious?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm!MDwannabe...The beginning of any relationship tells a lot about how it will progress and how it will end. Whether you like it, transparency builds as the relationship builds hence all the questions and answers at the beginning of any relationship

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great interesting topic. This is an important spice in a relationship. I will like to add this: being transparent in a relationship make the involved individuals act with understanding even if they don't agree. @ Dwannabe: It is great to start transparency from the beginning and then let it blossom as man of hope pointed out.

    ReplyDelete